httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Cliff Woolley <jwool...@virginia.edu>
Subject Re: suggestion: strip comments from served html pages
Date Sun, 07 Nov 2004 19:42:10 GMT
On Sun, 7 Nov 2004, Nick Kew wrote:

> On Sun, 7 Nov 2004, Tobias Skytte wrote:
>
> > Why not introduce and option to remove the
> > comments from the served file?
>
> You have that option from mod_xmlns, mod_proxy_html or mod_publisher,
> to name but three.  Along with caveats about why it's not necessarily
> a good idea.

Yes, I'm aware of at least one more 3rd-party module that does the same
thing.  I can't remember the name of it, but it was discussed on this list
a while back (maybe a year ago now).

Ultimately I suspect that the biggest problem (assuming that the "what's a
comment and what isn't" problem is solvable) is that this kind of parsing
takes a disproportionately large amount of CPU time with respect to the
amount of network bandwidth it saves.  I mean really, how much bandwidth
from *html* are we talking about?  Compared to images?  If you start
parsing the html, you lose any ability to do zero-copy and the like, not
to mention the fact that the CPU has to examine every single byte of the
input and process and/or copy it.  Yuck.