httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Rici Lake <r...@ricilake.net>
Subject Re: mod_comment (was: svn commit: r106879 ...)
Date Mon, 29 Nov 2004 15:17:54 GMT

On 29-Nov-04, at 10:10 AM, Greg Stein wrote:

> So no... I don't like mod_comment. It uses a feature that I dearly
> wish to see removed from httpd.

I agree 100% on removing that feature. If it were gone, something
like mod_comment would have to be implemented in the core, I suppose.

However, I was not really proposing it as a module (except maybe
cheekily); rather as a proposed syntax which seems to me to be
more user-friendly than <IfDefine 0>. Of course, tastes differ.

I'll leave my comments on rewriting the config parsing (which I
agree needs to be done) for a longer message; Paul Querna and I
have been talking about this, too. However, I don't think it is
fair to simply point the finger at the invasive mod_perl.

For example, mod_macro is a very simple, easily audited module,
which is extremely useful, and which requires exactly the same
access to the configuration stream. By the same token, the
environment variable expansion in config files is a hack which
would have been better put into an optional module.

All of this suggests that some mechanism ought to exist for modules
to intervene in the configuration process; I think we are
completely in agreement that the current mechanism is not the
right one.

Rici