httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Justin Erenkrantz <jus...@erenkrantz.com>
Subject Re: httpd configure relies on egrep which is broken on some platforms
Date Sat, 27 Nov 2004 07:39:28 GMT
--On Saturday, November 27, 2004 2:24 AM -0500 Stephen Jungels
<sjungels@adelphia.net> wrote:

> Developers of Apache 1.3 and 2.0 should know that GNU egrep is broken on
> some platforms, and on these platforms Apache configure scripts which rely
> on egrep produce broken builds of Apache.  Details follow.

Thanks.  This is a known libtool bug which is fixed in (at least) libtool
1.5.10.  So, for httpd 2.x, there's little we can directly do to fix this
other than upgrade the libtool version we use to package our release.  If you
have GNU libtool 1.5.10 installed locally, you can just re-run ./buildconf
from the httpd directory and you'll be fine.

I will note that httpd 2.1.1 was created with libtool 1.5.10.  So, it doesn't
have this problem out of the box (although it is only an alpha and not suited
for general release otherwise).

It's probably time for us to mandate libtool 1.5.10 across the board for our
upcoming 2.2 series (along with autoconf 2.5x).  libtool 1.4.3 is just way too
old and crufty to be expected to work today.

As for Apache 1.3, it's unlikely we could easily eliminate the dependency upon
egrep.  Patches welcomed though.  =)  -- justin