httpd-dev mailing list archives

From "William A. Rowe, Jr." <wr...@rowe-clan.net>
Subject Re: End of Life Policy
Date Sat, 20 Nov 2004 18:36:00 GMT
If we simply leave 2.0 as no-features / critical bugfixes / security
bugfixes / any other nice patches someone wants to craft and get
votes for - that would be sufficient.

Remember Jim's comments - many users will be 'stuck' on 2.0 for
some time into the future while their vendors are preparing their
2.2 builds of add-in modules.

Bill

At 12:32 PM 11/20/2004, Paul Querna wrote:
>So, we are nearing a new stable branch.  For the first time in a long time we will have
a no-longer-developed-but-stable-branch in wide use. (2.0.x)

>I would like to have a semi-official policy on how long we will provide security backports
for 2.0 releases.

>I suggest a value between 6 and 12 months.
>
>Many distrobutions will provide their own security updates anyways, so this would be a
service to only a portion of our users.

>As always, this is open source, and I would not stop anyone from continuing support for
the 2.0.x branch. My goal is to help set our end user's expectations for how long they have
to upgrade to 2.2.