httpd-dev mailing list archives

From "William A. Rowe, Jr." <wr...@rowe-clan.net>
Subject Re: cvs commit: httpd-2.0/modules/ssl config.m4
Date Thu, 11 Nov 2004 04:38:23 GMT
At 01:03 PM 11/10/2004, Joe Orton wrote:
>On Wed, Nov 10, 2004 at 10:54:57AM -0600, William Rowe wrote:
>> Sorry, veto on this one.  I actually have a module that uses
>> mod_ssl's implementation to inject an apache ssl filter for
>> an ftp datastream.  Please, revert.
>
>I guess your module has been broken against HEAD since mod_ssl.h stopped
>exposing mod_ssl internals, so that's not good justification to revert
>this.  You can't get to mod_ssl internal functions at compile time
>already: this just hides them at link time too.

Quite probable... it's built for 2.0.x / apr 0.9.  I hope to start
testing after AC on 2.1 / APR 1.0.  I totally agree with keeping
the internal functions out of mod_ssl.h - this header should have
almost nothing to do with the implementation.

It's the 80/20 solution, 80%+ of other modules never need to see
the cruft, especially the cruft related to the underlying ssl
library.

>> Aside from this, the solution is unlikely to be truly portable.
>
>It's a libtool flag and libtool either supports or ignores it.

Compilers can't ignore the static fn() construct; they are always
explicitly private.  By far a better solution.

Could you describe what this patch accomplishes or was ment
to accomplish?

Bill