httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Nathanael Noblet <nathan...@gnat.ca>
Subject Re: People still using v1.3 - finding out why
Date Thu, 18 Nov 2004 20:20:16 GMT

On Nov 18, 2004, at 12:16 PM, Ivan Ristic wrote:

> Jim Jagielski wrote:
>
>> A can think of 4 big reasons, two from a developer standpoint and
>> two from an admin.
>>
>>    developer:
>>      1. Builds and compiles in a minute, rather than several. This
>>         means you can play around and develop more and compile
>> 	less.
>>      2. More "streamlined" design; for some filters, bb's and
>>         the "dependency" may be stumbling blocks.
>
>    And:
>
>        3. While the 1.3 API is well documented, the documentation
>           for 2.0 is sparse.

I would have to agree with the above. I started trying to learn the
module programming for 2.0. Most of what is out there assumes you are
doing one or two things, and didn't include enough to get it all pieced
together. I have to admit that I figured it all out from the pieces,
but took me close to a week of comparing different modules and what
they did to get my module to do "integrate" with apache, never mind
actually work on its own.

>    I have always thought a good book on APR programming, possibly
>    with a chapter or two on Apache, would do wonders for the
>    popularity of Apache 2.

I agree. Though by far don't have the knowledge to do it myself.

--
Nathanael D. Noblet
Gnat Solutions

T/F 250.385.4613