httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Garrett Rooney <roo...@electricjellyfish.net>
Subject Re: Towards a generic database connection API
Date Sun, 28 Nov 2004 22:14:24 GMT
Paul Querna wrote:

> An API to use as a starting point might be libdbi.  Its public interface
> is at http://libdbi.sourceforge.net/docs/programmers-guide/
>
> They also have a set of documentation on the design of the Database
> Driver's API at http://libdbi.sourceforge.net/docs/driver-guide/
>
> I really like using libdbi, and I have used it for several apache
> modules, but its memory management is a painful hack where you are
> required to free() and malloc() things yourself.  I would love a libdbi
> like interface that fully embraced pools. Anyone else?

That would be useful.  It seems like the core functionality should
probably be stand alone, then you can build a thin apache module on top
of it.  Most of the functionality that's useful in an apache module (sql
connection pooling, etc) can also be useful in other situations, so if
we can pull that out and make it generic that should be a win.

In comparing Nick's API to libdbi's API the one thing that sticks out to
me is that libdbi gives you a varargs interface, where Nick requires you
to build up the string manually.  I'd certainly prefer that kind of
interface, just so we can reduce the chance for user error with regards
to things like escaping strings and whatnot.

> If we get to a working code-base, I would like to investigate adding it
> to APR-Util.

Seems reasonable to me, we already have a dbd abstraction in APR-Util,
why not an sql abstraction as well?

-garrett