httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Mathias Herberts <Mathias.Herbe...@gicm.fr>
Subject Re: People still using v1.3 - finding out why
Date Mon, 22 Nov 2004 08:21:19 GMT
Graham Leggett wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I've been keen to do some digging for reasons why someone might need to
> install httpd v1.3 instead of v2.0 or later.
>
> Support for mod_backhand seems to be a significant reason (and getting
> backhand ported to v2.0 would be a win): Apart from backhand, are there
> in the experience of the people on this list any other significant apps
> out there that are keeping people from deploying httpd v2.x?
>
> Regards,
> Graham
> --

Hi,

in my organization we are heavy users of Apache 1.3 and have no intent
of migrating to 2 yet.

The main reason why we are not migrating to 2 is related to bug 17877 I
filed for Apache 1.3 last year. We are using Apache as a reverse proxy
using mod_rewrite and mod_proxy and we need to proxy WebDAV requests.
Those requests are often sent using Chunked as their transfer-encoding,
and our reverse proxies need to forward those. The vanilla mod_proxy
rejects those requests (in both 1.3 and 2.0), but as we cannot control
the DAV clients being used this kind of behaviour is not an option we
can tolerate.

I patched mod_proxy in 1.3 to pass those requests 'AS IS' to the origin
servers (which we KNOW for sure to be 1.1 compliant). My patch would not
port easily to version 2 as the structure of mod_proxy has changed
significantly between 1.3 and 2.

The availability of filtering in Apache 2 seemed at first a nice feature
to use but it turned out keepalive connections' requests are far from
easy to handle, at least using mod_perl and the perl filter hooks. I do
not know if this has been fixed yet or not as I did not have time to
look again at mod_perl but this was sure a problem for us to start using
this nice Apache 2 feature.

Mathias.

  'AS IS' to the origin servers otherwise they might just crash due to
the size of the data being transfered (several hundreds of Mb or even
several Gb) which canno