httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Paul Querna <c...@force-elite.com>
Subject Re: End of Life Policy
Date Sat, 20 Nov 2004 18:45:31 GMT
William A. Rowe, Jr. wrote:
> If we simply leave 2.0 as no-features / critical bugfixes / security
> bugfixes / any other nice patches someone wants to craft and get
> votes for - that would be sufficient.

That is how I would want to leave it.

The problem is, this does not set *any* expectations for how long we
will provide these fixes.

It does not help an Apache User who maintains  any number of servers
with httpd-2.0.x.

I want the policy to provide an insight for these users -- so they know
how long they have to start an upgrade cycle within their environment.

> Remember Jim's comments - many users will be 'stuck' on 2.0 for
> some time into the future while their vendors are preparing their
> 2.2 builds of add-in modules.

Yes, but if we set a 10 month end of official support policy, it will
also encourage these vendors.  If in 8 months, 2.2 turns out to be a
major dud, we can reconsider this policy.  These are all example time
lines, but I believe we need some sort of initial minimum supported
policy, as a service to our users.

-Paul