httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Geoffrey Young <ge...@modperlcookbook.org>
Subject Re: Use threaded MPM by default was Re: cvs commit: httpd-2.0 STATUS
Date Sat, 06 Nov 2004 14:03:18 GMT

> Seems reasonable to do so.  2.0 was our first threaded release - making
> a threaded MPM by default (if available) for 2.2 seems fine by me.  --
> justin

agreed :)

however, something that I heard recently is that if you specify a threaded
MPM on a platform that does not support it, the build process silently
switches to prefork (or whatever the default is for the platform, I guess)

now, I haven't seen this myself, so I don't want to propagate FUD, but if
it's true I might suggest that halting the build process is preferable to
switching behind the scenes (or even switching with a little warning) - from
a support standpoint, "I built apache like this..." should tell the truth
about the build in question.

if I'm off my rocker, well, sorry.  I'll buy a round at the hackathon to
make up for it :)

--Geoff