httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Joe Orton <jor...@redhat.com>
Subject Re: PCRE in 2.1/2.2
Date Fri, 26 Nov 2004 12:01:12 GMT
On Thu, Nov 25, 2004 at 04:00:46PM -0800, Brian Pane wrote:
> I volunteer to upgrade the copy of PCRE in httpd-2.1 to the latest
> version.  I'll have a bit of time to work on this over the next few days.
>
> One question, though...
>
> I'd like to follow the vendor-branch approach outlined in the Subversion
> book, <http://svnbook.red-bean.com/en/1.0/ch07s04.html>.  In this
> approach, a clean copy of the 3rd party code is maintained on a branch
> under some unique path, so that it's easy to generate a diff between
> versions M and N of the 3rd party code that can then be merged into our
> code base.

Sounds great!

I also spent some time recently working out how to apply that process to
srclib/pcre and it seemed fairly straight-forward.  It seems like the
process works OK even if the step to copy the original vendor
pcre/current to srclib/pcre is skipped, so the current srclib/pcre can
be used to merge into.  The steps I came up with would be just:

  import pcre-3.9 to vendor/pcre/current
  cp vendor/pcre/current vendor/pcre/pcre-3.9
  unpack pcre-5.0 into vendor/pcre/current, svn add everything then commit
  verify that vendor/pcre/current exactly matches contents of pcre-5.0.tar.gz
  cp vendor/pcre/current vendor/pcre/pcre-5.0

and then the merge between pcre-3.9 and current can happen.  You concur?

> Do we have a standard yet for where vendor branches should be located
> within the httpd Subversion repository?  E.g., should the clean PCRE
> releases be stored under svn.apache.org/repos/asf/httpd/vendor/pcre?  or
> svn.apache.org/repos/vendor/pcre?  Or something else entirely?

I think /asf/httpd/httpd/vendor is the right place, putting it alongside
the trunk and branches, giving:

  /repos/asf/httpd/httpd/vendor
  /repos/asf/httpd/httpd/vendor/pcre
  /repos/asf/httpd/httpd/vendor/pcre/current
  /repos/asf/httpd/httpd/vendor/pcre/pcre-3.9
  /repos/asf/httpd/httpd/vendor/pcre/pcre-5.0

Regards,

joe