httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Joshua Slive <jos...@slive.ca>
Subject Re: Bye bye welcome page
Date Wed, 06 Oct 2004 17:12:33 GMT

On Tue, 5 Oct 2004, Graham Leggett wrote:

> Joshua Slive wrote:
>
>> No, because this is a very confusing and ambiguous statement from the
>> perspective of a random web surfer who stumbles on the page.  Their
>> response is "Why are you saying I installed a webserver on my computer?
>> This must be some kind of security breach.  Call in the marines!"  (And I'm
>> hardly exagerating!)
>
> Point... How about "The website you have accessed has not yet been
> configured. Please try to access this website again later."? It's directed at
> end users, and does not imply anywhere that the server might be running on
> their local machine.

My opinion is that the shorter message is better because, by the fact that
it gives no information at all, it is less likely to be misinterpreted to
mean something that the website owner doesn't intend.

I won't object if someone wants to put another piece of text there, as
long as it doesn't start us back on the same road we left 5+ years ago
with this page.

Joshua.