httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Joshua Slive <jos...@slive.ca>
Subject Bye bye welcome page
Date Tue, 05 Oct 2004 17:30:23 GMT
Fair warning:

As the first stage of a simplification of the default config in 2.1
(only!), I'm going to remove all the html files under
httpd-2.1/docs/docroot/ and replace them with an index.html file
containing only <html><body><h1>It works!</h1></body></html>

I'm going to do this because:

1. The old welcome page is a constant source of confusion to random web
surfers who stumble on unconfigured apache installs.

2. New users, when finding on a docroot with dozens of files, are often
confused about where to put their own content.

3. The international welcome page is a large source of bug reports from
people wanting to tweak grammar or provide new translations.

4. This will allow us to simplify the default config by removing the
config stuff necessary to handle the typemap.

I'll wait until tomorrow uncase someone cares to object.

Joshua.