httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Nick Kew <n...@webthing.com>
Subject Re: module filter vs handler
Date Fri, 22 Oct 2004 17:24:00 GMT
On Fri, 22 Oct 2004, Nathanael Noblet wrote:

> Quick question
> 	Can/Should something be designated as a filter AND a handler? For
> example the filter would pre-process the request such as POST data etc.
> The handler would work on what the filter setup? Or do I completely not
> understand the Apache module struct?

Yes.  Whether that makes sense or not depends on your application.
If they're not closely bound together, you might also implement them
as separate modules, so they're reusable in other applications.
My Site Valet application requires a minimum of 9 custom modules for
a full installation, and the website uses several additional ones.

You don't need an input filter to handle POST - though of course it's an
option.  You might want to look at existing handlers such as libapreq
or (for file upload forms) mod_upload ( http://apache.webthing.com/ ).

> 	Is there another place to discuss 3rd Party modules? the modules list
> given on the http://httpd.apache.org/lists.html doesn't exist anymore?

Well, it exists, but covalent seem to have more-or-less lost interest in
maintaining it (or modules.apache.org) in working order.  Subscribing to
it seems to be broken.

Does
	http://www.apachetutor.org/dev/request
help with understanding the architecture, from where you are on the
learning curve?

--
Nick Kew