httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Rici Lake <r...@ricilake.net>
Subject Re: cvs commit: httpd-2.0/server protocol.c
Date Tue, 26 Oct 2004 04:22:54 GMT

On 25-Oct-04, at 11:04 PM, Roy T. Fielding wrote:

> This is not an error that the server admin can solve -- it is normal
> life on the Internet.  We really shouldn't be logging it except when
> on DEBUG level.

That was my first reaction, too. However, Ivan Ristic pointed out that
(in some cases, anyway) it is the result of a DoS attack, and there may
be something a server admin can do about it. Or, if not, at least they
might know why their server is suddenly performing badly.

For example, we had a problem report on #apache a couple of days ago
which turned out, after considerable investigation, to be the result
of a single host ip issuing hundreds of request connections in a few
minutes. Whether this was a deliberate attack or simply a buggy
client is not clear (to me) but the temporary solution of blocking
the ip address was certainly within the server admin's abilities.