httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Justin Erenkrantz <jus...@erenkrantz.com>
Subject Re: Event MPM
Date Tue, 26 Oct 2004 20:38:56 GMT
--On Tuesday, October 26, 2004 4:25 PM -0400 Greg Ames
<gregames@remulak.net> wrote:

> that sucks IMO, but it does sounds like how the code works today.  We do
> socket read() syscalls during the MODE_EATCRLF calls that are almost
> always unproductive.  They could be optimized away.  I don't believe 1.3
> does these extra read()s.

1.3 does it in reverse: it discards the extra CRLFs at the beginning of the
request lines.  Hmmmmm.  Looking at the code, httpd-2.x does the same thing
in read_request_line.  So, we could probably toss the EATCRLF mode entirely
without any ill effects.  It's kind of pointless...

>> Connection-level filters like mod_ssl would have to be rewritten to be
>> async.
>
> or to simply report whether they held on to any data.

This is how EAGAIN return values would work.  But, again, I don't think we
could add it easily without changing a lot of filter semantics.  -- justin