httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Justin Erenkrantz <jus...@erenkrantz.com>
Subject Re: Event MPM
Date Tue, 26 Oct 2004 05:23:54 GMT
--On Monday, October 25, 2004 2:17 PM -0400 Greg Ames <gregames@remulak.net>
wrote:

>>> I am thinking of trying to find an old pentium I with PCI and putting
>>> a GigE card in it just for benchmarking.
>
> I'd love to find one like this too.  I sometimes use a 180 MHz Pentium Pro
> box.   But it only has 160M of EDO memory which is hard to scrounge around
> here, and probably can't use modern hard drives effectively due to BIOS
> limitations.

Good luck.  I really wouldn't recommending throwing money down this path.  I
spent $300 I really don't have on a GigE switch and cards in order to get more
out of mod_cache to little avail other than more useless benchmark numbers.

Yet, if you send me some flood scripts and httpd patches, I can throw some
numbers back at ya though.  No sense other httpd'ers wasting their money.

>> How about modifying ab to add a delay of a second or two between
>> successive read(2) calls
>> on the same connection
>
> an excellent idea.  Or maybe add a delay after any read if -k is in effect.

Um, flood already lets you do this and lots more.  ab isn't a load simulator
and trying to produce benchmarks with it is laughable.  -- justin