httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Justin Erenkrantz <jus...@erenkrantz.com>
Subject Re: [RFC] a lazy byterange filter
Date Tue, 12 Oct 2004 18:05:14 GMT
--On Tuesday, October 12, 2004 4:17 PM +0100 Joe Orton <jorton@redhat.com>
wrote:

> OK sure, but the point you have to argue is why it's useful to support
> this feature *in httpd*.  N million 1.3 users live without it.  I'm

Agreed.  +1 for making it simpler and avoiding the memory hogging.  My only
comment on your patch is that I'd personally keep the filter context around
just to make the diff that much easier to grok.  To be correct, you'd also
have to shift everything over one tab level.  And, if someone can come up with
a way to add a smarter byterange filter later, they have a context there
already.  =)

> (I probably should have made the subject "a lazy developer's byterange
> filter" to make my intentions clear about doing any real work to fix PR
> 29962 :)

I don't think there's a straightforward way to honor these contrived byterange
requests that produce degenerate output streams.  And, my interpretation of
the RFC leads me to believe that the people who wrote it understood that and
gave us a clear opt-out.  -- justin