httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Sander Temme <san...@temme.net>
Subject Re: OpenSSL with Security Processor
Date Fri, 22 Oct 2004 08:06:45 GMT
Hey Gurpreet,

On Oct 21, 2004, at 3:57 PM, Gurpreet Grewal wrote:

> I am facing a problem when I am trying to use the OpenSSL (0.9.7d to
> be precise) with the BraodCom BCM5823 card. I tried running the
> following two commands-
>       openssl des3  -in inputfile  -out outputfile -engine ubsec
>       openssl des3  -in inputfile  -out outputfile
>
> Ideally the first command should take less time/less main CPU coz it
> should be using the SSL processor. But they take almost the same
> amount of time/main CPU.

This is not exactly a forum for OpenSSL discussion... as you saw, your
previous question about running httpd/mod_ssl with the SSL Engine
generated quite a bit of response. However, you may expect the OpenSSL
interest of the Apache httpd community to stop at the integration
boundary.

That said, does the BCM4823 actually offload 3DES operations for you?
Even if it does, it may be that the trip across the PCI bus cancels out
any benefit you might be gaining from the offload.

Try some RSA encrypt/decrypt operations: that's where this type of
coprocessor really shines.

S.