httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Greg Ames <grega...@remulak.net>
Subject Re: Event MPM
Date Tue, 26 Oct 2004 20:25:41 GMT
Justin Erenkrantz wrote:

> The problem is that there is no reliable way to determine if there is
> more data in the input filters without actually invoking a read.

that sucks IMO, but it does sounds like how the code works today.  We do socket
read() syscalls during the MODE_EATCRLF calls that are almost always
unproductive.  They could be optimized away.  I don't believe 1.3 does these
extra read()s.

> Connection-level filters like mod_ssl would have to be rewritten to be
> async.

or to simply report whether they held on to any data.

>     SPECULATIVE with APR_NONBLOCK_READ will come the closest to
> achieving the goal though.  However, I expect mod_ssl isn't going to
> work quite right with non-blocking reads.

Perhaps we could disable the use of the event thread when are filters like
mod_ssl for now, and see what we can do about true pipelining for non-ssl.

Greg