httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Paul Querna <c...@force-elite.com>
Subject mod_cache: Content Generation Dependencies?
Date Tue, 26 Oct 2004 02:02:02 GMT
I have been doing some stuff with mod_transform (XSLT processor) and
mod_cache.

The problem is, mod_cache doesn't have any easy way to know if a request
needs to be regenerated.  Right now, it just blindly caches until a
timeout.  What I would prefer is that it knows what files or URLs a
specific request depends upon, and if any of those change, then
regenerate the request.

An example:

cache_add_depends(r, "/home/httpd/site/xsl/foo.xsl");

This would add 'foo.xsl' as a dependency of the current request.  If the
file's mtime changes, mod_cache would invalidate the cache of the
current request.

Any opinions or suggestions?

A stat() call on several files is hundreds of times faster than having
mod_transform re-generate the output.  While I would hate to stat()
hundreds of files on every request, this method could eliminate all
unesesary regeneration of cached content.

-Paul Querna