httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Paul Querna <>
Subject Re: Event MPM
Date Mon, 25 Oct 2004 18:53:15 GMT
Paul Querna wrote:
  > A thread per-connection that is currently being processed.
> Note that this is not the traditional 'event' model that people write
> huge papers about and thttpd raves about, but rather a hybrid that uses
> a Worker Thread todo the processing, and a single 'event' thread to
> handle places where we are waiting for IO. (Currently accept() and Keep
> Alive Requests).  Perhaps it needs a different name? (eworker?)
> A future direction to investigate would be to make all of the initial
> Header parsing be done Async, and then switch to a Worker thread to
> preform all the post_read hooks, handlers, and filters.  I believe this
> could be done without breaking many 3rd party modules. (SSL could be a
> bigger challenge here...)

Some academics have played with this model of a event thread + worker
threads.  Best I can find is the Java 'SEDA: An Architecture for Highly
Concurrent Server Applications'. [1]

They have some pretty graphs in their papers of their Haboob web server
that can scale very nicely compared to traditional event or
pure-threaded servers.[2] [3]

-Paul Querna

View raw message