httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Graham Leggett <>
Subject Re: cvs commit: httpd-2.0/server protocol.c
Date Mon, 25 Oct 2004 14:57:13 GMT
Rici Lake wrote:

> I believe that ap_log_rerror() inserts the OS error description,
> resulting in something like:
> [client] (70007)The timeout specified has expired: request
> line read error
> Of course, this is OS dependent.

That still means little to me as an end user, as I would think a
"request line read error" was some OS error that I needed to be
concerned about, leading me on a wild goose chase.

What would make more sense is "Error while reading HTTP request line.
(remote browser didn't send a request?)". This indicates exactly what
httpd was trying to do when the error occurred, and gives a hint of why
the error might have occurred.

The clearer the error message, the less chance of an admin wasting time
fiddling in the dark trying to understand what it all means.

View raw message