httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Graham Leggett <minf...@sharp.fm>
Subject Re: mod_proxy reverse proxy optimization/performance question
Date Wed, 20 Oct 2004 15:16:36 GMT
Roman Gavrilov wrote:

> In my opinion it would be more efficient to let one process complete the
> request (using maximum line throughput) and return some busy code to
> other identical, simultaneous requests  until the file is cached locally.
> As anyone run into a similar situation? What solution did you find?

In the original design for mod_cache, the second and subsequent
connections to a file that was still in the process of being downloaded
into the cache would shadow the cached file - in other words it would
serve content from the cached file as and when it was received by the
original request.

The file in the cache was to be marked as "still busy downloading",
which meant threads/processes serving from the cached file would know to
keep trying to serve the cached file until the "still busy downloading"
status was cleared by the initial request. Timeouts would sanity check
the process.

This prevents the "load spike" that occurs just after a file is
downloaded anew, but before that download is done.

Whether this was implemented fully I am not sure - anyone?

Regards,
Graham