httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Greg Ames <grega...@remulak.net>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] Asynchronous page creation?
Date Fri, 15 Oct 2004 15:24:20 GMT
Craig,

If I understand what you want to do, I've done a little like that with
modifications mostly to the worker MPM for httpd-2.1.  The patch is here -
http://apache.org/~gregames/event.patch .

But I was primarily interested in low hanging fruit - threads that are between
HTTP requests.  I picked them because they don't need a lot of state information
to be saved and restored when the connection changes threads, and because we
often see a lot of threads tied up in keepalive timeouts and lingering close
processing.

If you want to exit a thread while it is executing a handler which is doing
database calls, there will be a lot more state that needs to move between
threads.  But maybe this will give you a start.

Good luck,
Greg

p.s. disclaimer - the event.patch has some known issues posted at
http://apache.org/~gregames/event.laundry_list