httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Brian Akins <bak...@web.turner.com>
Subject mod_status idea
Date Fri, 08 Oct 2004 13:38:57 GMT
I think this has been proposed before, but I wanted to see if there was
interest before I started coding.

Currently, there is a static list of "states" that mod_status can
report.  What if we extended this so modules could add there own state.
  Perhaps use something similar to calls to "ap_get_request_note"?

Pseudo code:

mod_foo has the foo state:

in it's post_config:

int foo_state;

foo_state = ap_register_state("Doing foo");

then in it's handler (or filter, or wherever):

ap_set_state(foo_state).

Then mod_status would have an array (or hash) of int's to strings and
report them:

5494 in state: "Doing foo"

The catch is we expect there to be a one character state.

This would allow a module to have multiple states (like a handler and a
filter).  This would also make the state registration/setting voluntary.

Thoughts?

--
Brian Akins
Lead Systems Engineer