httpd-dev mailing list archives

From "Wayne S. Frazee" <wfra...@wynweb.net>
Subject Re: More musings about asynchronous MPMs Re: Event MPM
Date Tue, 26 Oct 2004 15:14:55 GMT
I dont claim to be a java expert but I use apache extensively and figure i
might as well toss in my $.02

Frankly, there are two reasons I hate java.

1) Its a resource hog.  Running on a JRE or Virtual Machine setup provides an
extra layer of resource requirements that a similar C, C++, etc program would
not really have.

2) Its relatively slow in comparison to many modern languages.  Mostly due to
item 1 and the way that the JRE does cleanup, etc.

I recognize that there are also several positive effects that moving to a java
based MPM would have.   For me, I have recently been subjected repeatedly to
the mantra of one of my co-workers: "Use the best tool for the job at hand."
Frankly, for MPMs whose main requirement is speed, efficiency, and a large
level of scalability, I really dont think that Java is going to be a more
useful tool in executing highly scalable MPM designs than C, C++, or some
other languages would be.

Just my humble opinion, take it or leave it for what its worth.

--
Wayne S. Frazee