httpd-dev mailing list archives

From "Jean-Jacques Clar" <JJC...@novell.com>
Subject Re: Seg fault: Possible race conditions in mod_mem_cache.c
Date Fri, 10 Sep 2004 01:17:44 GMT
>>> trawick@gmail.com 09/09/04 2:27 AM >>>
>>As far as performance, I currently don't see any slow down on my
>>box, but will run longer tests tomorrow morning.

>no worries about that here
Looking more closely at the implication of the submitted patch,
I don't think we want to lock decrement_refcount() with a
global mutex affecting the whole cache. Yes, it fixes the double free,
but it is kind of ugly and increases mutex contention drastically,
at least on my 4 procs NetWare box. The tests I did using
SLES9 shows no slow down using the new code, but the
story is different on NetWare when running with more
than 500 threads.
I am trying to find a solution using the current atomic APIs,
but have not been succesfull so far. If someone has a better
idea, I am more than open to try it.
Thanks,
JJ