httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Jeff Trawick <>
Subject Re: Seg fault: Possible race conditions in mod_mem_cache.c
Date Wed, 08 Sep 2004 17:32:09 GMT
On Wed, 08 Sep 2004 09:14:56 -0600, Jean-Jacques Clar <> wrote:
> >It should not be possibe for two threads to atomically decrement the refcount on
the same object to 0.
> I think there is a small window in there where it is possible to have the decs
> happening on both CPUs one after the other making that bug possible in
> decrement_refcount() and memcache_cache_free().
> >Sounds
> >like a bug in netware's apr_atomic_dec() function.
> Sorry but when running the same test on SLES9 with 2.0.51rc1,
> my error_log is full of threads segfaulting.

I loaded the latest APACHE_2_0_BRANCH cache code into a 2.0.47-based
server on SLES8/PPC.  Not hard to make segfault.  I changed
MCacheMaxObjectCount to 1 from what you posted and had clients iterate
through a list of 20 or so /index.html.LANGUAGE files.  I changed the
worker MPM configuration to use exactly 1 child process with 800

My backtrace was (sorry, no line numbers):

Next I'll try to replicate with 2.0.51 rc2 on the same box.

View raw message