httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Nick Kew <n...@webthing.com>
Subject Re: AddOutputFilterByType oddness
Date Wed, 22 Sep 2004 16:01:42 GMT
On Sat, 18 Sep 2004, Justin Erenkrantz wrote:

> > But ap_add_output_filters_by_type() explicitly does nothing for a
> > proxied request.  Anyone know why?  "AddOutputFilterByType DEFLATE
> > text/plain text/html" seems to work as expected here for a forward proxy
> > with this applied: maybe I'm missing something fundamental...
>
> My recollection is initially it didn't have the proxy check, then FirstBill
> had a reason why proxied requests shouldn't work with AddOutputFilterByType.

I've said it before and I'll say it again: AddOutputFilterByType is
fundamentally unsatisfactory.  This confusion is an effect, not cause.

* Configuration is inconsistent with other filter directives.  The
  relationship with [Set|Add|Remove]OutputFilter is utterly unintuitive
  and, from a user POV, broken.
* Tying it to ap_set_content_type is, to say the least, hairy.
  IMO we shouldn't *require* modules to call this, and it's utterly
  unreasonable to expect that it will never be called more than once
  for a request, given the number of modules that might take an interest.
  Especially when subrequests and internal redirects may be involved.
* It's a complexity just waiting for modules to break on it.

I've made some more updates to mod_filter since I last posted on the
subject, and I'm getting some very positive feedback from real users.
For 2.2 I'd like to remove AddOutputFilterByType entirely, replacing
it with mod_filter.

mod_filter can also obsolete [Set|Add|Remove]OutputFilter, though I'm
in no hurry to do that.  What I can also do is re-implement all the
outputfilter directives within mod_filter and its updated framework.

--
Nick Kew