httpd-dev mailing list archives

From "William A. Rowe, Jr." <wr...@rowe-clan.net>
Subject Re: httpd v2.0.50 Windows binaries with mod_ssl
Date Wed, 08 Sep 2004 18:18:10 GMT
At 11:05 AM 9/8/2004, Justin Erenkrantz wrote:
>--On Tuesday, September 7, 2004 4:27 PM +1000 Jason Rigby <sirjasonr@gmail.com>
wrote:

>>I found that you can get mod_ssl included as a binary if you download
>>the binaries that include PHP and mod_perl. (That's how I got it
>>working for me) I think mod_ssl isn't included for some strange export
>>issues however I'm not sure. Anyway, let me know if you have any luck
>>elsewhere.
>
>Correct.  Unless we file the right paperwork with the US government, we can't distribute
binaries with mod_ssl enabled.  Other ASF projects are now filing that paperwork on a regular
basis (XML Security and now Derby), so it may be useful to get in touch with them to figure
out the details.

That of course would be the right place to start, but those Java
projects are using sun-distributed crypto .jars, IIUC.

The complicating issues are that 1. OpenSSL does not distribute binary
builds of their libraries,  2. The source code can't be distributed
from the US as-is, due to IDEA/MDC2/RC5 patents, and 3. on Unix we
can expect a 'relatively modern' OpenSSL already installed, but Win32
users most likely do not have OpenSSL (any 'standardized' distribution,
anyways) on their machine.

Fortunately, the roll-ups you mention include not only mod_ssl but
the OpenSSL libraries.