httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Graham Leggett <minf...@sharp.fm>
Subject Re: cvs commit: httpd-2.0/modules/experimental cache_storage.c cache_util.c mod_cache.c mod_cache.h mod_disk_cache.c mod_mem_cache.c
Date Fri, 24 Sep 2004 17:14:46 GMT
Bill Stoddard wrote:

>> Stale objects are discarded and fetched from the origin server.

> So we're missing all the code to handle RFC 2616 section 13.3. We're not
> violating the RFC but our cache is sure not as efficient as possible.

What the CACHE_CONDITIONAL filter did was say "if the cached response is
stale, change this request to a conditional request by adding
If-None-Match. If I get a 304 back, then serve my cached copy, it is
fresh. If I get a 200 back (or something else), throw away my cached
copy and serve the new 200 content instead".

If the CACHE_CONDITIONAL filter is the wrong way to go about this, what
is the correct way to go about this?

So far simplifying the code is nice, but if "simplifying" means "ignore
part of the RFC", then we're moving backwards. :(

Regards,
Graham