httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Mladen Turk <mt...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [OT] Developer lists and Reply-To header
Date Thu, 23 Sep 2004 12:30:37 GMT
Greg Marr wrote:
>> Is there any reason why apr, apr-util, httpd mailing lists have
>> Reply-To header set to the sender and not to the list itself.
>
> Search for
> reply-to considered harmful
> on Google and you'll find more information than you ever wanted to read
> about both sides of the issue.

If you meant the article by Chip Rosenthal it didn't convince me.
It's just a personal opinion about his favorite emailer (elm).

> The big question is which is worse, sending a message to the list when
> your intention was to send it to a single person.

The worse is as is where httpd list mailer actually does add
Reply-To header, while apr's does not. Also almost any other
ASF hosted mailing list (that I'm member of) sets that header.

As a poster I don't expect to receive a separate mail 'CC-ed' to
me personally if it's already posted on the list as an reply, and
that is quite often, cause (myself too) people just hit 'reply to all'.

Anyhow, the subject starts with [OT], so it's not such a
big deal thought :).

Regards,
MT.