httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Graham Leggett <minf...@sharp.fm>
Subject Re: Bundling APR in 2.2
Date Thu, 16 Sep 2004 21:26:23 GMT
Joe Orton wrote:

> +1 to shipping the sources in the tarball.  In principle I like the idea
> of only shipping apr from a release tag, but it adds a significant
> burden if there needs to be an httpd security release for an apr issue.
> I think we need to demonstrate that we can ship APR releases more often
> than once a year first.

I don't see any reason why APR would not ship more than once a year. The
big step was v0.9 to v1.0, the step to v1.0.1 or onwards is a no
brainer, especially for a security release.

> This is precisely dictated by APR_FIND_APR and how it's used.  Not
> bundling the apr and apr-util sources just takes away user choice, and I
> don't see any justification for doing that.

APR_FIND_APR allows you to install v0.x and v1.x simultaneously and
choose between the two, but it will not help if APR v1.x.bar is
installed and used by subversion, while APR v1.y.foo is used by httpd.

Regards,
Graham