httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Mladen Turk <mt...@apache.org>
Subject Re: HTTP proxy working for folks on 2.1-dev?
Date Wed, 08 Sep 2004 15:49:56 GMT
Graham Leggett wrote:

>> It is not a problem to add the worker dynamically if never specified,
>> but I'm worried about the security in that case.
>> Is the NoProxy meant to be used in such situations?
>

> This is why there was a split between determining the one (or more) IP
> addresses to potentially connect to, and then deciding which of those
> addresses is the best to connect to based on load balancer / round robin
> / whatever - sometime the downstream servers are client specified,
> rather than preconfigured in a config.
>
> Here, the balancer might say "You are asking proxy to connect to an IP
> address that balancer has no clue about in my config. Let me just DNS
> round robin this one".

OK, we'll need to add the new worker if the DNS resolves the
valid connection point/protocol.

Some Q's:
1. How can I suppress such a behavior if not needed
2. Is this a default behavior no mater what the config says
3. How to calculate the loadfactors when the new node is resolved
4. What about cases when I can connect to the node but the node
    returns 404 cause there is no application requested on that node,
    or I'm missing something.

The final ones:
Can you explain some real world usage of such configuration.
Can it be done using standard directives and what would they look like.

P.S.
Seems I've missed a day in school when they talk about
ProxyVia headers :).

Regards,
MT.