httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Bill Stoddard <b...@wstoddard.com>
Subject Re: mod_cache 2 questions
Date Tue, 07 Sep 2004 19:37:32 GMT
Justin Erenkrantz wrote:

> --On Tuesday, September 7, 2004 2:48 PM +1000 Ian Holsman
> <lists@holsman.net> wrote:
>
>> ok.. so I've started playing with mod-cache again, and I noticed the
>> following:
>>
>> - there is no way to cache something with query-args which doesn't return
>> a expires tag.
>>
>> proposal: add a CacheIgnoreNoExpires directive so that we can cache them
>>
>> - Even if we add a optional function to ignore the query-args, we still
>>    check the args to see if the thing is cacheable. I'm not sure what to
>>    do about this.. maybe move some more functionality into the key-gen
>>    code... I don't know.
>>
>> any objections to adding yet another config option to mod-cache?
>

> Not really, but I'd like to see a patch posted to this list first before
> committing it.  There's a couple ways I could see implementing this, but
> not sure which way you are intending to do this.  -- justin

Just a thought... why does this restriction exist in the first place? If it is to cover an
uncommon occurance,
perhaps we relax the restriction by default and enable the restriction with a CacheNoExpiresStrict
(or
similar) config option? Another alternative might be to apply a default expires policy and
add an Expires
header to the reply and then run the reply through mod_cache. Just thinking out loud...

Bill