httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Matthieu Estrade <mestr...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Removing the Experimental MPMs in 2.2?
Date Fri, 03 Sep 2004 16:12:39 GMT
Jim Jagielski wrote:

> On Sep 2, 2004, at 11:25 PM, Paul Querna wrote:
>
>> Do we want to include the experimental MPMs in the 2.2 GA Branch?
>>
>> Currently the MPMs in server/mpm/experimental are:
>>  - leader
>>  - perchild
>>  - threadpool
>>
>> My personal feeling is to *not* include them in the 2.2 branch at this
>> time.  If any of the experimental MPMs are improved to a state we feel
>> they can be tested, then lets put them back in the GA branch, in the
>> experimental directory.  If after more testing in the GA branch they
>> prove stable, we can then take them out of experimental.
>>

> I'm not sure what you mean... I think that, at the source
> code level, all experimental modules (whether MPMs or
> not) should be included (but not *built* when doing
> packages). After all, the hope is that people try them
> out and provide fixes, patches, etc...
>
> So I am +1 in keeping experimental modules in.

Considering some experimental stuff is sometimes stable on some
plateform and still experimental because unstable on others, it could be
better to keep them in, just for users who want to try and help. If
these modules are deleted, some people will refuse to upgrade because
they will not find features they need (ex cache or ldap)...

+1 to keep experimental stuff.

Matthieu