httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Justin Erenkrantz <jus...@erenkrantz.com>
Subject Re: Rotatelogs crashes after fork() and execve() on Solaris/Intel
Date Wed, 22 Sep 2004 05:31:25 GMT
--On Tuesday, September 21, 2004 4:52 PM -0700 Michael Corcoran
<mcorcoran@warpsolutions.com> wrote:

> On Solaris/Intel, rotatelogs will always crash right after it is
> spawned.  This only happens on the Solaris/Intel platform.  It works
> fine on Solaris/SPARC, and on Linux, etc.  But for some reason, the code
> that is currently used in Apache 2.0.51 to fork() and exec() processes
> like rotatelogs, on Solaris/Intel, seems to crash all the time.
> The above patch has been the only way that I've been able to launch
> rotatelogs on the Solaris/Intel platform.

Hmm.  I don't have that problem on my Solaris/Intel box: we have several
rotatelogs instances going.  Sure there's not something else going on?

% pgrep rotatelogs | wc -l
       5
% uname -a
SunOS ... 5.9 Generic_117172-08 i86pc i386 i86pc
% ./httpd -v
Server version: Apache/2.0.51
% cc -v
cc: Sun WorkShop 6 update 2 C 5.3 Patch 111680-09 2003/05/18

I think I've heard of problems with gcc 3.x on Solaris/Intel causing similar
problems for all apps.  (We use Forte here.)  I believe it was fixed in gcc
3.4.0+.  But, that could be a red herring as well.  -- justin