httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Manoj Kasichainula <ma...@io.com>
Subject Re: Shorten the default config and the distribution (was: IfModule in the Default Config)
Date Tue, 14 Sep 2004 15:57:04 GMT
On Tue, Sep 14, 2004 at 11:21:15AM -0400, Joshua Slive wrote:

>On Tue, 14 Sep 2004, [ISO-8859-15] André Malo wrote:
>>A >30 KB default config, which nobody outside this circle here
>>really understands, isn't helpful - especially for beginners.
>
>I agree that the current config file is too big and ugly.  But let's be a
>little careful here.  There needs to be a balance.  Detailed config files
>do help users understand the capabilities of the server and make it much
>easier to activate features.

How about separating the "example" and "default" configs? Make the
default config short, but provide an example config with all the meat
that can be easily cut-and-pasted.

For example, I think <IfModule> lines in a config file are usually a bad
idea, since the webserver should complain loudly if a needed module
isn't present, instead of just ignoring the situation. Because the
example config is serving as a sort of documentation for all these
modules, but yet still has to work on whatever the user happens to
build, it has to include those <IfModule>s, and it then encourages
people to use them in a bad way.

>- Can we get rid of the non-unix mpm stuff from the default config.
>(Don't mean to offend os/2 and beos (and possibly netware), but they
>are really superfluous and confusing for most people.)

+1 to your proposal in the meantime (given my proposal above). I'd
probably just get rid of all of the per-mpm stuff even. The mpms should
have reasonable default values, so unless the admin needs to make a
specific change, there should be no need for any of those directives in
the default config.

>- Can we get rid of most of the AddLanguage/AddCharset directives?
>They are a constant source of bug reports, and I really can't imagine
>that many people use them as-is.  (Do people really name their files
>index.html.utf32be.el?)

+1