httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Paul Querna <c...@force-elite.com>
Subject Re: Bundling APR in 2.2
Date Thu, 16 Sep 2004 17:26:53 GMT
On Thu, 2004-09-16 at 18:13 +0100, Nick Kew wrote:
> On Thu, 16 Sep 2004, Paul Querna wrote:
>
> > In most of the Apache 2.0.XX releases, we have been using a CVS snapshot
> > of APR and APR-Util.
> >
> > I would like to make it an official policy that for the 2.2 cycle, we
> > will never use a CVS snapshot of APR.
>
> That makes httpd releases (relatively frequent) hostage to APR releases
> (extremely infrequent) when we need a bugfix in CVS.  Is that acceptable?

If there is a significant bug in APR, it should be fixed in a release by
them.  Regarding APR's release frequency, it is my hope that it will
become more frequent as a possible side effect of only bundling released
versions.

However, APR is still their own project, and it is up to them when they
do a release.

> > I believe we should still bundle APR and APR-Util with HTTPd, but we
> > should only use the released versions of each.
>
> Release version ABI yes.  Release version - only if that dependency
> can be fixed (i.e. APR folks can be hurried along where necessary).

I guess we should ask them if they can make releases more often :-)

> > It will also make life much easier for System Packagers.  If we only use
> > released versions, APR and APR-Util can be easily placed into separate
> > packages.  This will become more important as more standalone
> > applications use APR.
>
> Keeping binary-compatibility (ABI) is sufficient for that, innit?

No.  We have a backwards binary compatibility policy.  This means
existing functions and public structures will not change.  It does allow
new functions, structures or interfaces to be added.  When these things
are added, and then used in Apache, we must then wait for them to appear
in an APR Release.

-Paul Querna