httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Rici Lake <ricil...@speedy.com.pe>
Subject Re: Bug 31126: Reiser4
Date Thu, 09 Sep 2004 16:12:25 GMT
I want to make it clear here that I have never used Reiser4, so on a
personal level the issue is somewhat academic.

On 9-Sep-04, at 1:11 AM, André Malo wrote:

> SUSv3/POSIX disagrees as well. So I think, Mr. Reiser should just fix,
> what's broken. It's not such an uncommon case to test an arbitrary file
> path, if it's possible to open it.

So, Apache is only going to work on POSIX systems, you're saying?

Even under POSIX, there are cases where this particular piece of error
analysis could fail. For example, the redundant open on
pathname/.htaccess could return ENAMETOOLONG even though pathname was
within limits and names a regular file. (Admittedly, that is a
pathological case, but...)

> EACCES is just the wrong error, because it has different semantics.

I tend to agree, but it's not totally clear. Reiser4's files can also
function as directories, so ENOTDIR is incorrect. ENOENT seems like a
reasonable choice, but POSIX also mandates the return of EACCES instead
of ENOENT if search permissions are not present. I don't know enough
about the Reiser filesystem to know how one specifies search
permissions on a file which can also be a directory.

>> It is worth noting that in the particular circumstances which give
>> rise
>> to this error, ap_directory_walk could tell if the path refers to a
>> directory or a file; it should be possible to avoid walking too far,
>> although there may well be edge cases I haven't thought of.

> -> Race condition.

What about just changing line 930 of server/request.c from

            if (r->finfo.filetype

            if (r->finfo.filetype && *r->path_info

All that will do is not optimise on the last segment; I don't see how
not performing the optimization could create a race condition that
didn't already exist.