httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Joshua Slive <jos...@slive.ca>
Subject Re: Programming a timeout into Apache
Date Tue, 31 Aug 2004 18:36:30 GMT

On Tue, 31 Aug 2004, Wallace, Brian S. wrote:
> Are there any tricks that can be done like telling the browser to clear
> the password cache or have the browser return the realm name that it's
> authenticating to?  Any other ideas or approaches to this problem would
> be appreciated.

The are many tricks depending on the specific version of the specific
browser.

There is no way that I know of to reliably instruct browsers to forget a
password. A google search will find many discussions of this topic.

If you need to provide a reliable logout, you need to role your own
sessions using that broken thing we call cookies or some other session
technique.

Further discussion should go to users@httpd.apache.org.

Joshua.