httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Joshua Slive <jos...@slive.ca>
Subject Re: mod_deflate and no-gzip
Date Wed, 18 Aug 2004 14:40:31 GMT

On Wed, 18 Aug 2004, Brian Akins wrote:

> Shouldn't we still set "Vary: Accept-Encoding" if no-gzip is set?  Example,
> if I use SetEnvIf to disallow gzip for some browsers, shouldn't we still tell
> proxies to vary on "Accept-Encoding"?  mod_deflate will send the Vary if the
> client does not have a proper Accept-Encoding header, but not if we set
> no-gzip.  THis seems broken.  If mod_deflate is called, if should send a
> Vary.

What about
SetEnvIf Request_URI file[0-9]+\.html no-gzip

This doesn't require a Vary-header.  And in fact, the example you site
requires a "Vary: User-Agent", not "Vary: Accept-Encoding".

This is a rather difficult problem, and I don't have a good solution to
propose.  Currently, it is the responsibility of the admin to deal with
Vary if they use no-gzip.  For an example, see
http://httpd.apache.org/docs-2.0/mod/mod_deflate.html#recommended
and for a discussion:
http://httpd.apache.org/docs-2.0/mod/mod_deflate.html#proxies

Joshua.