httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Nick Kew <n...@webthing.com>
Subject Re: AddOutputFilterByType oddness
Date Tue, 24 Aug 2004 09:37:09 GMT
On Tue, 24 Aug 2004, Graham Leggett wrote:

> I have just set up the most recent httpd v2.0.51-dev tree, and have
> configured a filter that strips leading whitespace from HTML:
>
> AddOutputFilterByType STRIP text/html
>
> The content is served by mod_proxy.

As it stands, that can't work.

It's a manifestation of the problem I'm addressing by reviewing
the filter architecture: see http://www.apachetutor.org/dev/smart-filter
and the "Ideas for smart filtering" thread here.

I actually have an implementation based on the discussion document and
addressing the concerns people raised in the thread.  I hope to find
time to finish the accompanying documentation and post it here round
about this coming weekend.

> http://httpd.apache.org/docs-2.0/mod/core.html#addoutputfilterbytype
>
> it says that filters are not applied by proxied requests (It does not
> give a reason why not).

The URL above makes it clear what's happening there.

--
Nick Kew