httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Nick Kew <n...@webthing.com>
Subject Re: POST without Content-Length
Date Sat, 07 Aug 2004 22:39:22 GMT
On Sat, 7 Aug 2004, Roy T.Fielding wrote:

> >> If the client sent chunks, then it is safe to assume that the proxy
> >> can send chunks as well.  Generally speaking, user agents only send
> >> chunks to applications that they know will accept chunks.
> >
> > The client could be sending chunks precisely because it's designed to
> > work with a proxy that is known to accept them.  That doesn't imply
> > any knowledge of the backend(s) proxied, which might be anything up to
> > and including the 'net in general.
>
> Theoretically, yes.  However, in practice, that is never the case.

On the contrary!  I myself have done a great deal of work on a proxy
for mobile devices, for a household-name Client.  The client software
makes certain assumptions of the proxy that would not be valid on the
Web at large.  But the backend *is* the web at large.

> > Also bear in mind that we were discussing (also) the case where the
> > request came with C-L but an input filter invalidated it.
>
> I was not discussing that case.  The answer to that case is "don't do
> that".
> Fix the input filter if it is doing something stupid.

That was one of the cases that started this thread.  I don't have an
example of this, but someone did.

--
Nick Kew