httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Nick Kew <n...@webthing.com>
Subject Re: AddDefaultCharset and Bug 23421
Date Mon, 02 Aug 2004 12:59:20 GMT
On Mon, 2 Aug 2004, [ISO-8859-15] André Malo wrote:

> * Nick Kew <nick@webthing.com> wrote:
>
> > Our shipping with AddDefaultCharset preconfigured is causing lots of
> > pages to be served with a bogus charset, typically where authors
> > rely on <meta http-equiv ...> and either don't know how to fix it
> > or lack permission.
>
> *shrug*, removing AddDefaultCharset creates the same kind of problem, just
> other way 'round.

No, because it enables the de-facto <meta http-equiv ...> hack.

> > Bundling AddDefaultCharsets help users fix this.
>
> What does that mean?

It means I mistyped AddCharset.

> > But really we need
> > to do two more things.  One is to update the documentataion - perhaps
> > a tutorial on the subject.
>
> This doesn't solve the problem, you've described above. If it's a lack of
> permission, the tutorial won't help. If it's missing knowledge, the brand new
> tutorial won't even be read (same as documentation before).

If there's a way to deal with this without .htaccess, then no permissions
is less likely to be an issue.  And the more clueful users will find a
tutorial.

> > The other is to turn multiviews on by
> > default, so authors whose sysops stick with defaults and offer no
> > privileges can deal with it without having to hardwire
>
> The purpose of the shipped default config is not to administer all the
> boxes out there. It's just a goodie that you can see, that your apache is
> running.

In theory ...

> I'm very -1 on turning on MultiViews, since it's very annonying (and
> expensive) if you don't want it (and you have a lazy sysadmin, lack of
> permissions like described above).

OK, fair point.

> Actually I think, it would be way better to shorten the default config to
> something very small, which just shows the indexpage and let the people
> configure their server themselves. And hey, suddenly the bug reports go to the
> admins (where they belong) and not to us.

Sounds to me like wishful thinking there.  We still get expected to
sort out bugs arising in rpm, deb, emerge, etc packages that bear little
or no resemblence to httpd-std.conf.

> > Does this make sense?  Or could we simply drop the AddDefaultCharset
> > from the installation default as suggested by Duerst and others?
>
> Pragmatically, I think, let's just drop it and we're fine :)

Sounds good to me:-)

--
Nick Kew