httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Justin Erenkrantz <jus...@erenkrantz.com>
Subject Re: ARM4 module for Apache 2, any interest?
Date Wed, 11 Aug 2004 22:55:41 GMT
--On Wednesday, August 11, 2004 12:08 PM -0500 "William A. Rowe, Jr."
<wrowe@rowe-clan.net> wrote:

> Doesn't some de minimis treatment through the incubator still apply?  There
> are two templates, one for a full project's incubation, one for a lightweight
> pass through IP vetting.  ++1 here for submission to the incubator as
> a new httpd instrumentation subproject.  Also happy to help on the ppmc.

A lightweight pass through the Incubator for IP vetting seems reasonable.  I
don't think a PPMC is justified here unless we start adding a whole bunch of
monitoring modules (but I don't think that'll happen, honestly).  The
lightweight pass is just us (as the HTTP Server PMC) filling out some forms so
the ASF legal butt is covered.  So, that process goes as fast (or as slow) as
we make it.

> -1 on experimental - it needs to die :)  Look how long it's taken to get
> cache stable.  If that module was only placed in the main distro once it was
> fully complete, it would have been finished far sooner.  In general, new
> modules into 2.0 doesn't seem to make alot of sense since 2.2 will release
> before ApacheCon (straightforward goal, don't you think?.)

If we decide as a group to go in that direction, certainly.

> One thought on 2.2 was to simply not place any unfinished modules on that
> branch, and let them live on in the 2.1-dev (well, that becomes 2.3-dev once
> 2.2.0 is golden), until it can be released.  The modules can live in the
> "right location" in a 2.odd-dev tree from their inception.

Let's see what is remaining in experimental when we start the 2.2 release
cycle.  mod_cache will almost certainly be out of there.  ;-)  -- justin