httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Guenter Knauf <efl...@gmx.net>
Subject Re: [AJP] proxy status
Date Thu, 12 Aug 2004 18:09:17 GMT
Hi,
> That seems rational to me.  The reason for proposing proxy-dev@httpd
> is so that tomcat-dev'ers wouldn't have to swallow the full bandwidth of
> dev@httpd (converse of the problem where they asked anyone in dev@httpd
> to follow tomcat-dev@jakarta for the duration of that proxy_ajp
> development).
hahahahha!
I get 5x++ more traffic from tomcat-dev than from dev@httpd and dev@apr together because:
- the commit mails go to the same list as the dicussion stuff.
- there are so many folks subscribed unable to control their mail server that nearly every
day a couple of autoresponder mails come through the list.
- there are so many folks subscribed unable to protect their machine from viruses so that
every day some viruses come through the list.

in addition its anyway a pain with the tomcat-dev list since it drops any attachments which
makes it harder for everyone to attach a patch. Reason: the stupid and totally senseless footer.
Even with the footer every few days another idiot asks how to unsubscribe - I think that proofes
enough that it is useless!

> So I ask our tomcat-dev'ers who are interested in proxy_ajp,
> proxy_balancer
> and so on - are you already subscribed/following dev@httpd?  Or do you
> feel
> a -strong- need for a lower-traffic list?  If no one complains loudly, we
> will keep
> all proxy traffic on dev@httpd (cc's to tomcat-dev if you feel a point
> needs
> feedback from the tomcat connector folks.)
I'm fine with that.
Since the code now moved into httpd HEAD anyway no jtc commiter can commit any more;
I f.e. have only karma for the connectors, which means now I can only commit to the old dead
code; so for me I see no reason to keep subscribed to tomcat-dev list; the few posts which
are really about connectors I can read online, or wait a bit and then crawl though bugzilla
when the problems appear there....

my 2ct.

Guenter.

BTW: also it was asked more than once for a separate section only for connectors in BugZilla
- currently you have to do complex searches to get all the connector issues together since
they are bound to Tomcat releases, but the connectors are developed independent from Tomcat.