httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Justin Erenkrantz <jus...@erenkrantz.com>
Subject Re: Taking a broom to our modules was Re: Invitation to HTTPD commiters in tomcat-dev
Date Sun, 01 Aug 2004 18:31:08 GMT
--On Sunday, August 1, 2004 8:12 PM +0200 Mads Toftum <mads@toftum.dk> wrote:

> On Sun, Aug 01, 2004 at 03:18:47AM -0700, Justin Erenkrantz wrote:
>> My #1 vote is to throw mod_rewrite clear off the island.  =)  -- justin
>
> Why is it so important to kill off mod_rewrite that this comes up from time
> to time? Just take a look at the cvs history if you think mod_rewrite is

To be clear, my comment above was only tongue-in-cheek.  I know people
actually use mod_rewrite and didn't mean it seriously.  nd's done a great job
of channeling the spirit of RSE to get mod_rewrite usable again.

However, there may be definitely real modules that we should consider retiring
to an 'extra' distribution.

> If you really wan't to take the hatchet to httpd's source tree, then maybe
> you should start with dead/unused mpms and perhaps mod_cache which has never
> really made it to completion.

Ideally, we should target those modules that have equivalent functionality
offered elsewhere.  One pre-req for separating out MPMs is that we need to
make them DSO-able...  *shrug*  -- justin