httpd-dev mailing list archives

From "William A. Rowe, Jr." <wr...@rowe-clan.net>
Subject Re: proxy CONNECT and recent 2.1-dev proxy enhancements
Date Mon, 16 Aug 2004 16:34:24 GMT
At 10:56 AM 8/16/2004, jean-frederic clere wrote:
>There are different things:
>We could be serving to another proxy in this case my patch is just a work-around and proxy_balancer.c
should handle the CONNECT uri and we could have something like:

><Proxy 0.0.0.0:8080>
>   BalancerMember localhost:8080
>   BalancerMember pgtr0327.mch.fsc.net:8080
></Proxy>
>(That means also to support this syntax).
>
>Or to a normal proxy in this case we don't need the new logic.
>
>>if this code has to hard-code a check for M_CONNECT, why not simply
>>avoid the call to ap_proxy_pre_request() in the first place?
>
>We don't want load balancing for CONNECT.

No, but I just realized that failover for a missing back-end server
could be a very good thing.  Consider esp. an e-mail proxy where you
want to offer several arbitrary smtp back ends, all configured to
deliver email from an identical list of domains.

But it certainly isn't a high-priority issue, compared with getting
the entire modules/proxy/ tree stabilized.

Bill